New US president signs orders on COVID, climate and ‘support for underserved communities’.
- President Joe Biden, after being sworn in as the 46th president of the United States, has signed a raft of executive orders to roll-back the policies of his predecessor, Donald Trump.
- Vice President-elect Kamala Harris has been sworn in as vice president, becoming the first woman, and person of colour, to serve as the US government’s second in command.
- President Donald Trump left the White House early on Wednesday and became the first president in more than 150 years not to attend his successor’s inauguration.
- The inauguration crowd size was limited as a result of security concerns prompted by the deadly riot at the US Capitol on January 6.
- Trump was impeached for “incitement to insurrection” for his role in the Capitol mayhem, becoming the first president in US history to be impeached twice.
This was Al Jazeera’s live coverage of inauguration day, from Tamila Varshalomidze, Joseph Stepansky, Mersiha Gadzo and Kate Mayberry.
Fireworks light up Washington sky
Some pictures from the just-wrapped ‘Celebrating America’ event, which brought Biden’s inauguration day to an end.